Before processing a Credit Card Transaction, the Credit Card (and associated users) must be added.
This Step-By-Step tutorial walks you through the process of adding a credit card and users, and then guides you through the process of entering and posting a credit card transaction. There is also a section at the end of this tutorial that guides you through importing credit card transactions from an Excel file.
•For a visual tutorial, see the Process a Credit Card Transaction video.
•All video tutorials can be viewed from the Tutorials & Videos page.
This Section Includes:
1. From the Accounts Payable menu, select Modify -> Credit Card Information.
2. Click the Add New Credit Card link.
3. Enter the Credit Card Information. (The Card Account # field is for entering just the last 4-digits of the credit card number.)
4. Click the Add New Credit Card User link located on the Users tab.
5. Click the User Search icon.
6. The Person Search window appears. Select "All Applications" from the Application drop-down and then enter the last name of a record in the Name field. Click the Search button. When the record appears on the grid, double-click the record.
7. The name appears as a user. Click the OK button to save the user, or click the Apply button to save the user and continue adding more users.
NOTE: If you need to add a user that is not currently in the database, then add the user as a vendor and then delete the vendor. The record remains in the database and can be assigned as a user. For more information on how to add a vendor, see the Add a New Vendor tutorial.
8. After entering all your users, review the Credit Card > Update page and then click the Add button to save the credit card.
After a Credit Card has been added, then transactions can be entered and posted. Follow the steps below to enter and post a credit card transaction.
1. From the Accounts Payable menu, select Enter -> Credit Card Transaction.
2. The Person Search window appears. Enter your search criteria such as the first part of a vendor's name and then click the Search button. Double-click the vendor on the grid.
3. Select a user from the drop-down list.
4. Enter the Date and the Total of the credit card transaction.
5. Under the Details section, enter the Account number and the detail line Description. Enter a project or 1099 Status (if appropriate) and then enter the amount for that line. Click the Add New icon to add another line of detail or click the Add New Lines icon-link to add multiple lines of detail. Continue adding lines of detail until the details of the transaction are complete.
6. (optional) Files such as receipts or other documentation can be stored electronically with the credit card transaction. To store attachments, click on the Attachments tab and then click on the Add New Attachment icon-link.
7. Select or scan any attachments and then click the OK button.
8. Review your credit card transaction to make sure that everything is correct and then click the Update button.
9. The Credit Card > Transactions page appears. Enter any filters to narrow the number of transactions that display on the grid and then click the Search button.
10. The credit card transactions appear on the grid. The next step is to select the credit card transactions you want to post by clicking the check box next to each transaction that you want to post. When all credit card transactions that you want to post have been selected, click the Credit Card Transaction Edit Report button to review the transactions in a report form.
11. After the Credit Card Transaction Edit Report displays, review it for accuracy. If you want, you can click the Print button to print a copy of it or click the Export link to download a copy of the report. Click the Close Report button to return to the Credit Card > Transactions page.
12. Click the Edit icon next to a transaction if you need to make any changes to it. If all the transactions are accurate, then click the Post Credit Card Transactions button in the lower right-hand corner of the page to post your selected transactions.
13. If you are on a Cash Basis, the transactions are posted. Posted transactions can be viewed on the Credit Card > Reconciliation page and the Transaction Inquiry page.
If you are on an Accrual Basis, enter a Posting Date and click the Finalize Post button and then click the OK button on the Finalize Post window. The transactions are posted and a journal is then sent to the General Ledger.
The last part of this tutorial guides you through importing your credit card transactions from an Excel file.
1. The first step is to log into your credit card website and download the statement that you want to import.
2. The second step is to add the column headers and other data to the Excel file as specified in the Credit Card > Transactions > Import Help page.
NOTE: The added columns and other data is highlighted in yellow on the image below.
3. Save the file as an .XLSX file format.
4. From the Accounts Payable menu, select Manage -> Unposted Credit Card Transactions.
5. Click the Search button (if the Filters appear).
6. Click the Import Credit Card Transactions link in the upper right-hand corner.
7. Click the Choose File button.
8. Navigate to your .XSLX file using the dialog box and select it.
9. Verify the correct file is displayed next to the Choose File button and then click the Import button.
10. The file is imported and displays as a grid. Review the transactions for any incorrect information.
NOTE: Click the here link to reverse the signs of the transaction amounts.
11. Click the Edit icon to make changes to an individual transaction or click the Delete icon to delete a transaction. These changes do not affect the original Excel file that was used for importing.
12. Invalid transactions can be viewed by clicking the View Invalid radio button. Invalid transactions occur when the information from the Excel file does not match with the fields in your Financials program.
NOTE: Payments typically show as invalid and can be deleted since they are normally entered as an invoice.
13. After reviewing the valid and invalid transactions and making any corrections, click the Import button to finish the import process.
14. The imported transactions appear on the Credit Card > Transactions page. At this point, you can process these transactions as you normally would.